When it comes to a senior discount, you don’t actually have to be a “senior” to qualify for one. In fact, the biggest misconception with the word “senior” in senior discount is that you have to be above the age of 65 to make a purchase for less money. However, signing up for an AARP membership for just $16 a year, starting at the age of 50, can oftentimes put you in the mix for a senior discount too.
Restaurants, department stores, transportation companies, movie theaters and even hairdressers don’t always have to be paid for in full. Asking for your senior discount at any of the places listed below can save you thousands of dollars a year.
Don’t want to spend a lot of money eating out? Head to these places where discounts are given to people over the age of 54.
- Applebee’s (15% off with Golden Apple Card, 60+)
- Arby’s (10% off, 60+)
- Boston Market (10% off, 65+)
- Burger King (10% off, 60+)
- Einstein’s Bagels (10% off, 60+)
- Friendly’s (senior menu offered with discounted prices, 60+)
- IHOP (10% off, 55+)
- LongHorn Steakhouse (50+ can order from senior or kid’s menu and receive smaller portions for reduced prices)
- Subway (10% off, 60+)
- Wendy’s (10% off, 55+) *not all restaurants participate
- White Castle (10% off, 62+)
Are you in the mood for a quick snack? Ask for your senior discount at these sweet places.
- Ben & Jerry’s (10% discount, 60+)
- Dunkin’ Donuts (discount varies, 55+) *not all restaurants participate
- TCBY (10% off, 55+)
Not only do restaurants offer senior discounts, but large companies do the exact same. Remember to ask for the senior discount when purchasing items at these popular stores.
- Banana Republic (10% off, 50+)
- Dress Barn (10% off, 55)
- Kmart (20% off, 50+)
- Kohl’s (15% off, 60+)
- Marshalls (10% off on Tuesdays, locations vary)
- Michael’s (10% off on Tuesdays with AARP card)
- Modell’s Sporting Goods (10% off, 65+)
- Rite Aid (10% off on Tuesdays and 10% off prescriptions)
- TJ Maxx (10% off on Tuesdays, locations vary)
- Walgreens (20% off once a month, 55+ and AARP) *“Balance Rewards” Card required
- Wild by Nature (10% discounts, 65+ with the store’s Wild Card). Locations in Oceanside, East Setauket, West Islip, Hampton Bays and Huntington Village.
Stop paying a fortune on transportation tickets and ask for your senior discount at the following car rental, airline and train companies.
- Alaska Airlines (10% off, 65+)
- American Airlines (discounts vary, 65+)
- Budget Rental Cars (10% off, up to 20% off for AARP members 50+)
- Continental Airlines (no initiation fee for Continental Presidents Club and special fares for select destinations)
- Dollar Rent-A-Car (10% off, 50+)
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car (5% off for AARP members)
- Southwest Airlines (various discounts for 65+ so call before booking)
- United Airlines (various discounts for ages 65+ so call before booking)
- U.S. Airways (various discounts for ages 65+ so call before booking)
- Amtrak (15% off, 62+)
- Greyhound (5% off, 62+)
- Trailways Transportation System (various discounts for ages 50+)
- Friends Travel in Levittown offers $75 off and all-inclusive vacations of seven days or longer, 62+.
When traveling, you’re going to need a place to sleep. In fact, hotels offer multiple senior discounts. Grab yours today at:
- Comfort Inn (20-30% off, 60+)
- Comfort Suites (20-30% off, 60+)
- Hampton Inn & Suites (10% off when booked 72 hours in advance)
- Hyatt Hotels (25%-50% off, 62+)
- Marriott Hotels (15% off, 62+)
- Sleep Inn (20-30% off, 60+)
- Holiday Inn Westbury (call for discount)
- Holiday Inn Plainview (call for discount)
Seeing a movie on a rainy day is a great activity. But it can be even greater when you purchase tickets at a cheaper price. Here are movie theaters that offer senior discounts.
- AMC/Loews Theatres (30% off, 60+) *Some locations offer greater discounts on Tuesdays with discounts up to 60% off the regular priced adult admission ticket
- Regal Entertainment Group (30% off, 60+)
Going for monthly haircuts can add up quickly. You can save a ton of money on your next haircut—and all future haircuts—at these local hairdressers:
- Branch Barbershop in Smithtown ($2 off a haircut every Monday-Wednesday, 55+)
- Changing Images Hair Salon, Inc. in Lindenhurst (10% off, 62+)
- SuperCuts at their 24 locations ($2 off regular adult price haircut)
There’s only one simple thing left for you to do: Ask for your senior discount today.
—Christy Hinko contributed to this article