Fifteen lauded for outstanding contributions to education
On Wednesday, April 11, Nassau BOCES will honor 15 people and organizations that have had a profound effect on public education in Nassau County. The Nassau BOCES Education Partner Awards program pays tribute to outstanding community and business leaders, civil servants, government officials, nonprofit executives and volunteers, organizations, school administrators and staff, students, teachers and Nassau BOCES employees.
During the past 12 years, more than 100 individuals have been honored with the Nassau BOCES Education Partner Award, which recognizes those who have made a substantial impact on public education in Nassau County. A strategic education partner with local school districts since 1967, Nassau BOCES created the award to pay tribute to those who share its commitment to enabling students of all ages and abilities to achieve their maximum potential.
This year’s honorees will receive their awards at the 12th Annual Education Partner Awards Gala on Wednesday, April 11 at Crest Hollow Country Club. (Click here for tickets.) The gala is sponsored by the Nassau BOCES Educational Foundation, an independent, community-based organization devoted to enhancing educational opportunities for students who take part in Nassau BOCES schools, services or programs. The Foundation supports initiatives that are beyond the scope of the agency’s budget.
“It gives us great pleasure to congratulate our 2018 Education Partner honorees,” Nassau BOCES Board President Eric Schultz said on behalf of the agency. “They are all extraordinary, sharing our commitment to creating safe and caring educational environments where all students can achieve their greatest potential. We are grateful for your support of our students and programs.”
Following are the 2018 Education Partner Awards honorees, by category.
- Mara Bollettieri, Deputy Superintendent, Bellmore-Merrick CHSD
- John Brooks, New York State Senator
- Kevin Dougherty, Principal, Elmont Memorial High School, Sewanhaka CHSD
- Dr. Ralph Ferrie, Superintendent, Sewanhaka CHSD
- Marianne Litzman, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, Hicksville UFSD
- Tonie McDonald, Superintendent, Levittown UFSD
- Lisa Ruiz, Superintendent, East Rockaway UFSD
School Board Members
- Peggy Marenghi, President, Levittown Board of Education, Levittown UFSD
- Christine Napolitano, President, Mineola Board of Education, Mineola UFSD
- Michael Pomerico, President, Freeport Board of Education, Freeport UFSD
Nassau BOCES Employees
- Lucinda Hurley, Executive Director, Nassau BOCES Department of Strategic Initiatives
- Teresa Scaturro, Executive Assistant to the District Superintendent and Nassau BOCES Board of Education
- Edward Stella, Automotive Teacher, Nassau BOCES Barry Tech / Adult CTE
- Ronald Vitiello, Project Lead Maintainer, Nassau BOCES Department of Facilities Services
- Surf for All, Cliff Skudin, Cofounder
For additional information about the Nassau BOCES Education Partner awards, including profiles of prior year honorees, visit www.nassauboces.org/educationpartner.
A vital regional resource, Nassau BOCES offers state-of-the-art programs for learners of all ages and abilities as well as cost-effective services for school districts and municipalities. The organization empowers students to achieve their maximum potential in alternative, artistic, outdoor, special education, virtual, career and technical environments. Adult education and a variety of programs offered are vital to improving the Long Island regional economy. In addition, BOCES technology services form the backbone of many school districts’ infrastructures. As the county’s educational leader in implementing the state’s reform efforts, BOCES helps to shape the future of education.