Everyone loves a good cup of cocoa. The real stuff is made by heating milk and chocolate (or cocoa powder) until it blends together in one creamy, chocolate drink. If you’re in a pinch, the powdered mix and hot water will do, but if you want to take your hot chocolate to the next level, these recipes will get you in the holiday spirit.
Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Hot Cocoa
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups milk (1 qt.)
⅓ cup hot water
½ cup sugar
¼ cup Hershey’s cocoa
1. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil and stir 2 minutes.
2. Add milk; stir and heat until hot. Do Not Boil.
3. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with whisk until foamy.
Recipe courtesy of Hershey
Cookies & Cream White Hot Chocolate
4 cups milk
½ cup Oreo cookie crumbs
½ cup white chocolate chips
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 2 cups of milk until scalding, remove from heat.
2. Add cookie crumbs (reserve a pinch for garnish), white chocolate, sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk until combined.
3. Add remaining milk, heat and stir
4. Pour into a mug, top with whipped cream and reserved cookie crumbs and serve.
Recipe courtesy of The Loveless Cafe
Nutella Hot Chocolate
2 Tbsp melted Venchi milk
1 tsp Nutella
6 oz steamed milk
1. Add melted chocolate and Nutella to steamed milk and mix well.
Recipe courtesy of La Pecora Bianca Midtown
Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps
1 qt milk (or half-and-half)
6 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
9 oz peppermint schnapps
Whipped cream, for serving
6 peppermint sticks, for serving
1. Heat 1 cup of milk in a saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate, stirring until melted. Increase heat to medium and add remainder of milk while whisking rapidly. Do not boil.
2. Serve in cups with 1½ ounces of peppermint schnapps, whipped cream and a peppermint stick.
Recipe courtesy of The Food Network and Michael Chiarello