According to the National Chicken Council, Americans will eat about 1.3 billion chicken wings during the Super Bowl. With a number like that, one can make the case that the action on the field is merely an afterthought compared to the food on the menu.
Buffalo wings easily soar over other super snacks during the big game, with eaters happily staining their shirts in sauce rather than partaking in nachos, chili and the decidedly un-super cheese plate. While the DIY chicken wing option is always viable, there is no shortage of eateries on Long Island that can provide heaps of wings for the second-biggest food day of the year next to Thanksgiving.
Here are a few of Long Island Weekly’s favorite wing joints along with our pick of their best wings:
- 1051 Hempstead Tpke., Franklin Square; 516-775-9464
Wing Guidance: Honey Habanero. Extreme heat with a touch of sticky sweetness.
- 137 Old Country Rd., Carle Place; 516-877-7750
- 420 Northern Blvd., Great Neck; 516-482-0400
- 3430 Sunrise Hwy., Wantagh; 516-679-2625
- 8063 Jericho Tpke., Woodbury; 516-367-2625
Wing Guidance: Coal Oven Roasted Chicken Wings. A comforting take on the classic concept.
- 183 Franklin Ave., Franklin Square; 516-216-5008
Wing Guidance: Buffalo. Award-winning wings are dry rubbed, oven roasted and fried to perfection. Peanut Butter & Jelly wings get an honorable mention.
- 129 New Hyde Park Rd., Franklin Square; 516-326-9542
- 190 Main St., Farmingdale; 516-293-7700
- 7 S. Park Ave., Rockville Centre; 516-764-0470
Wing Guidance: Red Hot Chili Powder. The classic Buffalo style with an added kick.
- 2458 Jericho Tpke., Garden City Park; 516-280-8440
Wing Guidance: Spanky Wings. Signature wings with sweet chili and a spicy kick.