½ cup andouille sausage
½ cup smoked turkey
½ cup tasso ham
1 cup onions
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped bell peppers
2 tbsp chopped garlic
2 oz oil or butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp crushed red pepper
1. Combine above ingredients in a large pot.
2. Sweat until onions are translucent; stirring constantly for approximately 20 to 30 minutes until meat starts to caramelize.
2 cups crushed San Marzano tomatoes
2 ears corn, shucked
2 quarts beef or chicken stock
2 bay leaves
Simmer for an hour and then season with:
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Fresh thyme, parsley and oregano
1. Make a roux of ½ cup butter cooked with ½ cup flour and crumble this over the meat mixture.
2. Add okra cut crosswise and cook for 15 minutes to half an hour.
3. Mix gumbo file with cold water and add just before serving.
4. Serve with rice.
Read about Fat Tuesday Fare at Big Daddy’s.