Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano will be hosting a series of Property Tax Exemptions Workshops in September and October at libraries and community meeting halls throughout Nassau County.
Department of Assessment staff will be on hand at the workshops to provide individual assistance to any homeowner who would like to file for his or her veterans, senior citizens, Cold War veterans, volunteer firefighters and ambulance workers, Limited Income Disability, or home improvement exemption on-site. Enhanced STAR applications will also be processed for homeowners already enrolled in the STAR Program prior to January 2, 2015.
First-time/new homeowner Basic and Enhanced STAR applicants must register with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance for the Personal Income Tax Credit/Check Program by telephone at 518-457-2036 or online at https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/register-for-star-credit.htm. The Department of Taxation and Finance will determine the applicant’s eligibility for the Basic or Enhanced STAR Tax Credit/Check Program.
The Property Tax Exemptions Workshops will be offered from 1 – 2:30 p.m. at the following locations and dates:
- Friday, September 1 at the Westbury Recreation Center located at 348 Post Avenue
- Wednesday, September 6 at the Merrick Public Library located at 2279 Merrick Avenue
- Thursday, September 7 at the Syosset Public Library located at 225 South Oyster Bay Road
- Friday, September 8 at the Levittown VFW Post 9592 located at 55 Hickory Lane
- Thursday, September 14 at the Great Neck Public Library located at 159 Bayview Avenue
- Friday, September 15 at the Massapequa Park (Bar Harbor) Public Library located at 40 Harbor Lane
- Tuesday, September 19 at the East Meadow Public Library located at 1886 Front Street
- Wednesday, September 20 at the Valley Stream VFW Post 1790 located at 65 East Merrick Road
- Monday, September 25 at the Port Washington Public Library located at One Library Drive
- Tuesday, September 26 at the Shelter Rock Public Library located at 165 Searingtown Road, Albertson
- Wednesday, September 27 at the Elmont Public Library located at 700 Hempstead Turnpike
- Thursday, September 28 at the West Hempstead Public Library located at 500 Hempstead Avenue
- Friday, September 29 at the Oyster Bay- East Norwich Public Library located at 89 East Main Street
- Tuesday, October 3 at the Hicksville Public Library located at 169 Jerusalem Avenue
- Wednesday, October 4 at the Uniondale Public Library located at 400 Uniondale Avenue
- Friday, October 6 at the Long Beach Public Library located at 111 West Park Avenue
- Wednesday, October 11 at the Oceanside Public Library located at 30 Davison Avenue
- Thursday, October 12 at the Baldwin Public Library located at 2385 Grand Avenue
- Thursday, October 19 at the Bethpage Public Library located at 47 Powell Avenue
Homeowners who will be filing for a property tax exemption are encouraged to make copies of their 2016 federal and state income tax forms, driver’s license, and any other documentation that is required prior to the workshop. Documentation requirements can be viewed on the application available on the Department of Assessment website at www.mynassauproperty.com.
For further information regarding property tax exemptions that are offered by Nassau County, please contact the Department of Assessment at 516-571-1500.