The St. Brigid/Our Lady of Hope Regional School celebrates 100 years of education and community
St. Brigid/Our Lady of Hope School held its first classes in 1918, and had eight classrooms—four on the first floor and four on the second floor. The original schoolhouse, now used as a meeting hall known as St. Anthony’s Hall, still exists on Post Avenue and was built in the 1890s. By the 1950s, the school needed more space to meet its growing class sizes, and the current location at 101 Maple Ave. was built, with extensions added soon after.
Today, the school is a learning community of children, professional educators, parents and families, clergy and lay ministers striving to share the message of Jesus Christ.
Rev. William F. McGinnis, DD was the pastor of St. Brigid’s Church. It was Dr. McGinnis who was responsible for the building of the current beautiful stone church. Some time after the completion fo the new church, the old building was moved across Post Avenue, where it was remodeled to hold eight classrooms. This became the first school.
St. Brigid, the first Parochial School in Westbury, began classes for the first time. It was run by the Sisters of Notre Dame.
Fr. James A. Sullivan became Pastor. Faced with a growing population and an overcrowded school, he went door to door begging for help from his devoted parishioners to build a new school.
Fr. Thomas F. Code succeeded Fr. Sullivan and worked incessantly to raise funds to pay for the completion of the new school.
The day of dedication. Bishop Kearney came to dedicate the New School. The school opened on September 8, 1955 with an enrollment of 1,020 students.
The popularity of St. Brigid’s School continued to grow. On October 7, 1963, ground broke for the new addition. In September 1965, the school opened with all students under one roof for the first time.
Fr. Fred Schaefer becomes Pastor. A new wave of immigration was beginning. Funding was needed to allow these children to attend St. Brigid’s School. To help low enrollment school leaders decide to accept non-Catholic students.
Fr. Francis X. Gaeta becomes pastor. He hired Christine Lombardi to be Principal. This was the first time in 72 years St. Brigid’s did not have a SSND as principal.
St. Brigid/Our Lady of Hope Regional School renamed.
Mr. Paul Clagnaz becomes Principal
The World Trade Center was attacked on September 11th. Sadly, the school lost the father of two young girls that day.
The Catholic Elementary School Study Committee was formed by the archdiocese. This committee would take surveys and analyze the decline in enrollments.
Partnership with St. John’s University School of Law for Middle School Mock Trial Program began.
First SMART Boards (Interactive White Boards) installed
Boys Basketball Champs (Catholic Middle School Athletic Association)
Celebrated Sister Marie Patrick’s Golden Jubilee as a School Sister of Notre Dame
A new playground is dedicated for Early Childhood children.
STEM Lab added to Middle School program
Toddler Plus program added to offerings
Google Expeditions (Virtual Reality) added to offerings