Buying a first home can be overwhelming. There are so many aspects that can make it an intimidating experience. With things like broker fees, mortgages, property taxes and home inspections to worry about, it’s not easy to know how to begin.
Hempstead Supervisor Don Clavin is partnering with Town Clerk Kate Murray and Receiver of Taxes Jeanine Driscoll to host First-Time Homebuyer Seminars, which will help to simplify the home-buying process for the public.
“The purchase of a first home may be the most meaningful financial investment that people make in their lives,” said Clavin. “It is incredibly important to have a full understanding of the home-buying process, and the Town of Hempstead is committed to helping residents prepare for it.”
The First-Time Homebuyers seminars will explain and answer questions regarding mortgages, inspections, title insurance, contracts, tax payment information, and closings.
Those in attendance will also obtain details on their eligibility for tax exemptions, tax information, tips on how to challenge home assessments, and other important information. The seminars will help people avoid costly and time-consuming mistakes as they buy their first home.
There are 13 seminars scheduled between April 27 and June 11, and all are free to attend. The programs are being presented by real estate professionals.
The seminars will be held on the following dates:
- Wednesday, April 27 at 7 p.m. at Five Towns Community Center (270 Lawrence Ave., Lawrence)
- Saturday, April 30 at 1 p.m. at Merrick Golf Course Clubhouse (2550 Clubhouse Rd., Merrick)
- Wednesday, May 4 at 7 p.m. at Levittown Hall (201 Levittown Parkway, Hicksville)
- Thursday, May 12 at 7 p.m. at Echo Park Community Room (399 Nassau Blvd., West Hempstead)
- Sunday, May 15 at 1 p.m. at Island Park Village Hall Courtroom (127 Long Beach Rd., Island Park)
- Tuesday, May 17 at 7 p.m. at Merrick Golf Course Clubhouse (2550 Clubhouse Rd., Merrick)
- Thursday, May 19 at 7 p.m. at Valley Stream Village Hall (123 South Central Ave., Valley Stream)
- Sunday, May 22 at 1 p.m. at Echo Park Community Room (399 Nassau Blvd., West Hempstead)
- Thursday, May 26 at 7 p.m. at Hempstead Town Hall (Nathan L.H. Bennett Pavilion, 1 Washington St., Hempstead)
- Wednesday, June 1 at 7 p.m. at Bellerose Village Hall (50 Superior Rd., Bellerose Village)
- Saturday, June 4 at 1 p.m. at Levittown Hall (201 Levittown Parkway, Hicksville)
- Wednesday, June 8 at 7 p.m. at Valley Stream Village Hall (123 South Central Ave., Valley Stream)
- Saturday, June 11 at 1 p.m. at Hempstead Town Hall (Nathan L.H. Bennett Pavilion, 1 Washington St., Hempstead)
Reserve your seat by emailing Homebuyerseminar@tohmail.org or by calling (516) 812-3611.