Alpacas, alligators, parrots, dogs, cats and exotic wildlife found right here on Long Island return with the Long Island Pet Expo for the sixth year from Friday, March 6 through Sunday, March 8 at Suffolk Community College in Brentwood. Attendees can expect to be wowed with high-flying dogs, agile cats, exotic animals, a rain forest reptile show, petting zoo, adoptable pets and many new additional features.
New this year, pet parents who love to go anywhere with their pet can now attend the Pet Expo with their well-behaved fur-baby all three days of the show. Owned pets brought to the show must be leashed, well-behaved and up-to-date on vaccinations. Owners must fill out a waiver upon arrival at the show.
“Last year we tested out the ‘pet hours’ at our Long Island Expo, and it was a great success with a lot of happy pet parents and many wagging tails. This year we decided to allow people that want to bring their pets any time during the show,” said Dennis Garetano, co-owner of Family Pet Shows, host of the Long Island Pet Expo. “People want to bring their pets with them to experience the event together, and shop for their favorite pet toys or treats at our many vendors.”
In addition, there are new pet entertainment acts and features added to this year’s show. These include:
• Double Dutch Dancing Dogs. Ever see a dog skip rope, balance on his owner’s feet, Frisbee-flying catches and obstacle high jumps? Combine that with Diana Frohman’s dancing dogs and this combo show will leave the crowds cheering for more.
• Weight Pull Demos. Doggie U K9 Academy, the only dog training facility on Long Island that offers weight pulling for dogs, will be at the Expo doing demos of this sport.
• Dachshund Derby. Weiner race anyone? The first ever Long Island Dachshund Derby takes place on Saturday and Sunday at the Expo from noon to 3 p.m. Purebred and Doxie mixes are invited to compete in this family-friendly event. Competitors will race head-to-head to find out who is the fastest dachshund on the Island.
• Rainforest Reptile Show. An exciting, fascinating adventure through the rare and endangered reptile world. Many exotic reptiles will be at the show.
• Cat Agility. Can you picture it? Cats speeding through an agility course to get the best time? Okay, so some take their take their sweet time and other cats go right through the course—a sight to be seen.
• Adoptable Pets. Many local Long Island rescue groups will be there with adoptable pets. It’s a perfect time to find a furry new friend to add to your family.
• Alpaca Area. See the alpacas, the softest, cutest, most cuddly critters at the Illusion Ranch Alpaca Area where there will be information and hands-on petting opportunities.
The Pet Expo is expected to bring more than 12,000 people throughout the weekend and features pet vendors offering many pet items and supplies for sale, lots of fun, educational entertainment programs and pet professionals from right here on Long Island and from around the country.
Attendees can also participate with their purebred dogs in the Parade of Breeds taking place on Saturday and Best Dog Trick Contest on Sunday. To participate in either the Parade of Breeds or Best Dog Trick Contest attendees can call 631-423-0620 or email Karen@FamilyPetShows.com to register.
Suffolk Community College is located at 1001 Crooked Hill Rd. (exit 53 off the LIE) in Brentwood.
Expo hours are: Friday, March 6 from 4 to 9 p.m.; Saturday, March 7 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Sunday, March 8 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Ticket prices are $12 for adults; $5 for children 11 and under (accept Friday night) and kids 3 and under free. Friday night is ‘Family Night’ where kids 12 and under are admitted for free. For information about the Long Island Pet Expo go to www.familypetshows.com or call 631-423-0620.