Let’s go back to 1958 in the Bronx where the Long Island Marathon all began. The New York City Road Runners established the “Macombs Dam Park Marathon,” which was run from Rye, NY, over the Macomb’s Dam Bridge to Columbus Circle. Then, in 1970 the race received a new moniker, the “Cherry Tree Marathon” dedicated to George Washington.
When the race moved again to Central Park, the marathon was renamed, “Earth Day Marathon.” In 1973, the marathon moved to the Roosevelt Raceway and then again, in 1978, to Eisenhower Park, which is where the Long Island Marathon finally came about.
Up until 1984, people didn’t want the Long Island Marathon, run from Charles Lindbergh Boulevard in Uniondale to Eisenhower Park, to just be a marathon. Nevertheless, the Long Island Marathon created the Long Island Half Marathon to suit people who couldn’t run 26.2 miles.
In the 2000s more events were added to the race run in the first week of May. The 5K, 10K and one-mile run were added as new competitions. People now refer to the two-day event as “Long Island Marathon Weekend.” (To read a full story on this year’s Long Island Marathon, click here.)