Following the tragic events that took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Feb. 14, the Broadway community united with many of the inspiring and world-changing MSD students to perform From Broadway With Love: A Benefit Concert For Parkland, USA, on Monday, April 16, at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, FL.
From Broadway With Love: A Benefit Concert For Parkland, USA, featured musical performances and special appearances from a variety of Broadway and TV’s biggest names including Emmy, Tony and Golden Globe-nominated artist Matthew Morrison (Glee, Finding Neverland, The Light In The Piazza, Hairspray), Golden Globe winner Rachel Bloom (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), award-winning recording artist Deborah Cox (The Bodyguard), Noah Galvin (The Real O’Neals, Dear Evan Hansen), Justin Guarini (American Idol, In Transit), Vincent Rodriquez III (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), Ephraim Sykes (Hamilton, Hairspray Live), Erich Bergen (Madam Secretary), Christy Altomare (Anastasia), Laura Bell Bundy (Anger Management, Legally Blonde), Telly Leung (Aladdin), Jordan Donica (My Fair Lady, Hamilton), Donna Lynne Champlin (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), Etai Benson (The Band’s Visit), Carrie Manolakos (Mamma Mia!), George Salazar (Godspell, The Lightning Thief), Bryan Fenkart (Waitress National Tour, Memphis), Charity Angel Dawson (Waitress, Side Show), Jessica Vosk (Wicked National Tour), Brandon Shapiro and Jake Wildhorn. The performers were accompanied by the South Florida Symphony.
From Broadway With Love: A Benefit Concert For Parkland, USA, setlist:
• “Hallelujah” – Carrie Manolakos and MSD Students
• “Broadway Here I Come” – George Salazar
• “Blue Skies Lie Ahead” – Justin Guarini
• “Man in the Mirror” – Erich Bergen and Spotlights
• “Proud of Your Boy” – Telly Leung
• “Life is Like a Roller Coaster” – Sawyer Garrity and Andrea Pena
• “I Will Always Love You” – Deborah Cox
• “Buttload of Cats” – Rachel Bloom
• “Made For This” – Jake Wildhorn
• “If We Only Have Love” – Etai Benson
• “Neverland/Stronger Medley” – Matthew Morrison
• “Come Alive” – Vincent Rodriguez III and Carrie Manolakos
• “Perfect Day” – Brandon Shaprio
• “You Will Be Found” – Noah Galvin, Jordan Donica, Carrie Manolakos and MSD Students
• “Seasons of Love” – MSD Students
• “Make Them Hear You” – Ephraim Sykes
• “Never Again” – Elysia Jordan
• “Okay” – Ally Reichard and Christy Altomare
• “Imagine” – Laura Bell Bundy and students
• “Journey to the Past” – Christy Altomare
• “New Generation” – Bryan Fenkart
• “A Million Dreams” – Deborah Cox & Jordan Donica
• “Almost There” – Donna Lynne Champlin
• “Sort Of” – Jessica Vosk, Elysia Jordan and Dance Company – in honor of Jaime Guttenberg
• “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” – Matthew Morrison and Kali Clougherty
• “This Is Me” – Charity Angel Dawson and company members from Waitress
• “Shine” – Sawyer Garrity and cast of From Broadway With Love
Some of the songs performed were written by the Stoneman Douglas students in collaboration with New York theatrical composers including Joe Iconis, Bobby Cronin, Zoe Sarnak, Drew Gasparini and more, with additional songs written solely by the students. Additionally, there was a special performance by Jaime Guttenberg’s dance troupe in honor of her memory. Several Stoneman Douglas students spoke at the event as well.
Approximately 7,000 tickets were distributed for the event—a large portion of which were donated to students and family of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Net proceeds raised (royalties and artist fees waived) by From Broadway With Love: A Benefit Concert For Parkland, USA, will be donated to Marjory Stoneman Douglas Victims’ Fund and Shine MSD (to benefit arts advocacy in the Parkland community).
Additionally, a fundraising page has been set-up at www.crowdrise.com/parkland. A forthcoming CD and DVD of the concert will also be available at BroadwayRecords.com and Amazon.com. Any donation of $50 or more at the CrowdRise website entitles you to a free CD, DVD or Blu-Ray of the concert once it is available.
Visit www.FromBroadwayWithLove.org to sign up to be notified when the CD and DVD become available.
The Parkland benefit was produced by Tony and Grammy Award winner Van Dean and Yael Silver (co-producer Once On This Island), both of Broadway Records, together with Joyce Arbucias, Tony Award winner Kenny Howard, Andrea Canny and Chris Yakubchik. The performance was co-directed by Michael Unger (Producing Artistic Director, NewArts in Newtown, CT) and Kenny Howard. Emmy Award winner and Tony Award nominee Michael J. Moritz Jr. served as music director. Michael J. Moritz Jr. and Jeff Saver (Chicago) served as co-music supervisors, Michael J. Moritz Jr. and Jeff Saver conducted with lead orchestrations by Kim Scharnberg, casting is by Robin Carus, Jason Haft is project coordinator, Sam Wilmott and Marcus Stevens are creative consultants, production stage manager is Sydney Steele with Rachel Sussman as project manager.
From Broadway With Love: A Benefit Concert For Parkland, USA, was presented in partnership with Broadway Records, BB&T Center, JetBlue, Heather on Earth, Pegasus, JM Family Enterprises, The Imagination House and the Broward Center for the Performing Arts.