Update Nov. 5: The position has been filled.
We are looking for a Special Sections Editor who has a good sense of what makes an interesting angle to a story, to juggle all the moving parts of publications. You will write, plan, coordinate, review and edit content on a variety of topics to populate our diversified advertising supplements and hyper-local magazines. The successful candidate will collaborate on ideas that should be pursued and which will provide exceptional, informative and engaging content, including but not limited to topics such as health and wellness, education, real estate, entertainment, travel, local guides, seasonal specials, dining and more. Candidates must be well-organized and work well within a team, able to aggregate content from multiple sources.
Qualifications should include, but are not limited to:
- Proven working experience as a writer and editor
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills and an excellent and varied portfolio
- Hands-on experience with InCopy and AP style guides
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking
- Prioritizing and multitasking
- Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors
- Proofread, edit and improve stories or pieces
- Recruit and manage writers and reporters
- Work closely with the sales department and the client base to grow relationships
- Cooperate and liaise with designers, photographers, advertising reps, writers, artists
- Local resident preferred, but not essential
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Working well as part of a team in a busy environment
- Research and interviewing skills
Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance and paid time off.
Position is based in our Mineola office. Email résumé and writing samples to Iris Picone at firstname.lastname@example.org or view our listing on Indeed.com.