Anton Media Group took home nine prestigious awards from the New York Press Association (NYPA) Better Newspaper Contest on April 7 and 8.
The group of 16 local newspapers, plus arts and entertainment publications Long Island Weekly, Boulevard and a host of community-minded magazines, took home awards for its editorial work, as well as its creative design team.
“I’m so proud to be a part of the New York Press Association,” said Angela Susan Anton, publisher. “Year in and year out, we display the talent needed to earn multiple awards. I believe our adherence to quality in writing and the look and design of our papers is our driving force in community journalism.”
- First Place, Best Obituaries “A Final Act Of Service,” “A Woman of Grace,” and “Mineola Pours A Cup For Nick Liakonis” – Betsy Abraham (Hicksville Illustrated, Mineola American)
- The NYPA committee remarked, “Easily the most compelling read of all the entries in this category. Great work by Betsy Abraham to recognize that people other than longtime community newsmakers can contribute to a community’s quality of life. It seems that Linda Callendrello did that, even though she was homeless.”
- First Place, Graphic Illustration “Eternal Con June 1, 2016“, Division 3 – Barbara Barnett (Long Island Weekly)
- The NYPA committee remarked, “Barbara Barnett goes above and beyond to create an authentic “comic book” look and feel with her design. Her talent gives this entry something extremely special and unique.”
- Second Place, Graphic Illustration “Coney Island June 8, 2016“, Division 3 – Barbara Barnett (Long Island Weekly)
- The NYPA committee remarked, “With a look and feel of The Beatles Yellow Submarine cartoon, the cover pulls in readers with a familiar, cool look and leads them down a path of a magical place called Coney Island.”
- Second Place, Best Special Section “Winter Car Care Feb. 17, 2016“, Division 2 – Barbara Barnett (Port Washington News)
- The NYPA committee remarked, “This cover did a great job of using an illustration for conveying three main points of winter car care without words. Depicting the car as a schematic drawing and using the actual photos of the battery, tire pressure and wiper fluid made the illustration work.
- Third Place, Best Automotive Special Section or Magazine, Division 1 – Christy Hinko and Alex Nuñez (Port Washington News)
- The NYPA committee remarked, “Nice format and layout.”
- Honorable Mention, Best Front Page, Division 1 – Sheila Ferrari (Garden City Life)
- The NYPA committee remarked, “Appealing design with a willingness to play with layout so each page feels fresh rather than cookie-cutter.”
- Third Place, Best Front Page “Long Island Roller Rebels“, Division 3 – Barbara Barnett (Long Island Weekly)
- The NYPA committee remarked, “Great use of full color and utilizing every inch.”
- Third Place, Best Large Space Ad, Division 2 – Caren Donatelli (Port Washington News)
- The NYPA committee remarked, “Biscuits & Barbecue ‘Turducken!’ makes me hungry just to look at.”
- First Place, Best Multi-Advertiser Pages, Division 2 – Caren Donatelli (Port Washington News)
- “The NYPA committee remarked, “You used eye-catching colors and clean design.”