Sweet treats to celebrate Independence Day
Nothing says Happy Fourth of July like hotdogs, fireworks and red, white and blue desserts. Those three colors in any way, shape or form will make for the perfect patriotic dessert as they resemble the good ’ole American flag.
Volunteer your baking talents this holiday with these recipes that are sure to be a star-spangled smash hit.
American Flag Cake
Yields 1 sheet cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 container of vanilla frosting (or homemade whipped cream for a lighter option)
1 cup water
½ cup vegetable oil
½ pint of fresh blueberries, washed and dried
2½ pints of fresh raspberries, washed and drained
(If you prefer strawberries: 2½ pints of fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, halved, and patted dry)
1. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs on medium speed for two minutes.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F for metal or glass pan or 325 degrees F for a dark or nonstick pan. Grease bottom of a 13” x 9” pan.
3. Pour cake mix into pan and bake for 28-33 minutes.
4. Once cake is cooled, frost and arrange berries in a flag pattern, using raspberries (or strawberries) for stripes and blueberries in the top left corner for stars.
Patriotic Jell-O shots
3 oz. box strawberry Jell-O mix
3 oz. box berry blue Jell-O mix
1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
Clear distilled liquor (flavored vodka, rum, or tequila)
14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk (or coconut milk)
2½ cups boiling water
1½ cups cold water
48 2 oz. plastic cups
Whipped cream (optional)
1. Red layer: In a medium bowl, add 1 cup of boiling water to strawberry Jell-O mix, whisking until powder is completely dissolved. Add ½ cup of cold water and ½ cup choice of liquor to mixture and stir. Organized on a baking sheet for easy assembly, fill each of the plastic cups ⅓ full with Jell-O and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
2. White layer: In a medium bowl, add ½ cup of cold water to gelatin and stir. Add ½ cup of boiling water and whisk to combine. Add condensed milk (or coconut milk) and ½ cup of liquor and stir to combine. Fill each of the plastic cups ⅓ full and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
3. Blue layer: Repeat same as red layer
4. Refrigerate Jell-O for 2-3 hours or until completely set. Serve as is or topped with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Fruity Firecracker Ice Pops
Yields 12 pops
1¾ cups (about 14 ounces) Greek yogurt, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tablespoons honey
1¼ cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
1¼ cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed, divided
12 freezer pop molds or 12 paper cups (3 ounces each) and wooden pop sticks
1. In a blender, add 1 cup of strawberries and 2 tablespoons of water; cover and process until blended. Remove to a small bowl. Chop remaining strawberries and add to strawberry mixture.
2. Add 1 cup of blueberries, 2 tablespoons of water and process until blended. Remove to another bowl and stir in remaining blueberries.
3. In a small bowl, mix together Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and honey. Set aside.
4. Assemble the molds by layering 1 tablespoon of the strawberry mixture, 2 tablespoons of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of the blueberry mixture. Top with Popsicle sticks and freeze until firm.