The Long Island Pet Expo returns for the 8th year at Suffolk Community College March 10 through 12 with new animal acts. Hosted by Long Island’s own Family Pet Shows, the expo has something for animal lovers at every age. Kids and adults alike will love this show watching the incredible pet acts and visiting the many educational animal and wildlife exhibits.
The show is also pet friendly. Pet owners can bring their own leashed and well-behaved pets with them to also enjoy the show. Pet parents can shop throughout the expo at more than100 vendor booths, meet adoptable pets, learn from veterinarians and groomers and see many new pet products to the market.
Attendees can expect to be wowed with dancing and acrobatic dogs, rabbit hopping, dog agility, exotic animals, the rain forest reptile show, petting zoo, meet parrots of a kinds and more
New this year adult attendees can purchase a weekend pass for $20 online prior to the show.
Friday night is family night, when kids 12 and under are admitted for free.
- NEW! Rabbit Hopping, Guinea Pig Agility – Rabbit Hopping, it’s not the bunny hop you’re thinking of, but talented rabbits who love to jump. Guinea Pit Agility? Move over border collies there’s a new agility in town! Allikatt’s Bunnies will present an agility demo of rabbits hopping and guinea pig agility all weekend—and there is even a seminar so you can learn how to get involved in this sport with your own hare.
- TICA Championship Cat Show – for cat lovers who have never been to a cat show, this is a purrific way to see all different breeds of cats up close! TICA cat show returns for the 2nd year to the expo on Saturday and Sunday only.
- Dancing Dogs – Forget about Dancing With The Stars! It’s Dancing With Your Dogs! Diana Frohman and her Golden Retrievers will be dancing the weekend away with their Dancing with your Dog performances at the pet expo. It is a display of communication and relationship between dog and handler, set to music.
- Dachshund Derby Returns! – Weiner race anyone? Due to popular demand the Long Island Dachshund Derby will be back this year both Saturday & Sunday at the expo 1 to 3 p.m. both days. Pure bred and Doxie mixes are invited to compete in this family friendly event! Competitors will race head-to-head to find out who is the fastest Dachshund on the Island.
- Rainforest Reptile Show – Kids interested in reptiles? This is an exciting, fascinating adventure through the rare and endangered reptile world. Many exotic reptiles will be at the show, including alligators, snakes, lizards, turtles and more. Reptile and wildlife experts talking about all kinds of our scaly reptilian friends.
- Schutzhund Demonstration – Maximum K9 Service will be doing a Schutzhund demonstration which will include obedience, dumbbell retrieval, tracking, protection work and a detection demonstration.
- Dog Agility – Interested in learning about agility with your dog? Doggie U K9 Academy will be doing dog agility demos all weekend in the main show ring.
- Long Island Parrot Society – If you are a feathered friend enthusiast, you want to be sure to see the LIPS attraction at the show. Learn about parrots of a kinds, how to care for them and their experts will help you decide what bird would suit your home best as a pet.
- Adoptable Pets – Many local Long Island rescue groups will be there with adoptable pets. Perfect time to find a furry new friend to add to your family. Nearly 100 pets get adopted at the show every year.
The pet expo is expected to bring over 12,000 of people throughout the weekend and features pet vendors offering many pet items and supplies for sale, lots of fun, unique and educational entertainment programs, and many pet professionals from right here on Long Island and from around the country. From alligators, parrots, ferrets, dogs and cats to local exotic wildlife found right here on Long Island, the pet expo has it all under one roof.
“We are always excited to host the LI Pet Expo as Long Island is our home and it is wonderful to bring our show again to Suffolk Community College in Brentwood for the 8th year! We expect over 12,000 people and many pets to enjoy the weekend event—and we are excited to once again bring new entertainment, educational exhibits, exotic pets, local animal rescue groups and tons of shopping of new pet items for pet parents to learn about,” said show organizer Karen Garetano of Family Pet Shows.
Dennis and Karen Garetano, the show organizers also allow animal rescue groups that are official non-for-profit organizations to have a free space at the event—offering the public information, education on responsible pet ownership and even have adoptable pets on site. Potential pet owners or those looking to add another pet to their family are encouraged to visit the adoption area at the expo as many of LI’s homeless pets will be available for adoption.
Attendees are welcome to bring their own pets to enjoy the show, however they must be must leashed, well behaved and up to date on vaccinations and their owners must fill out a waiver upon arrival at the show. Attendees can also participate with their purebred dogs in the Parade of Breeds taking place on Saturday at 4 p.m. To participate in the Parade of Breeds attendees can call 631-423-0620 or email Karen@FamilyPetShows.com to register.
Ticket prices are $12 for adults; $5 for children 12 and under (accept Friday night) and kids 3 and under free. Discounted tickets can also be purchased online on the website, as well as the weekend pass for adults. Friday night is Family Night when kids 12 and under are admitted for free! For more information about the Long Island Pet Expo go to www.FamilyPetShows.com or call 631-423-0620. There is also limited vendor space left.
Any owned pets brought with their owners to the show, must fill out a waiver (online on the website or at the show), and their pets must be leashed, well behaved and up to date on vaccinations. Owned pets are allowed during all hours of the show.